Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thoughts on new necrons

Things have been quiet around my corner of the blogsphere. Not going to bore everyone with details but life kind of got out of hand for a bit. Anyways as im sure everyone noticed the new necrons codex dropped a couple weeks or so ago. Im not interested in picking up the new necrons (as shocking as that may be to some of the locals) because I really am not interested in the new models. However after getting a few games against them I will offer my thoughts.

After playing against them with my blood angels and space wolves against a few different lists I've seen a few things. One thing that immediately jumps out is the ability the necrons now have to keep the game under nightfight for several turns, limiting or blunting the initial punch of alot of armies. I definitely noticed it when playing my wolves, and a little less with my blood angels but the point is this: the unique mechanic of multiple turns of nightfight is possibly one of the strongest factors with the necrons being successful. It allowed the close combat troops of the necrons I faced to get to my lines relatively unscathed because my long fang support or predator support was taken out of the game. I had little or no way to reduce the numbers of canaptik wraiths or scarabs before they were within effective range to charge. This effectively took large portions of my army out of the equation before any shots were fired.

There are many choices in this codex that I feel are under rated or overlooked in the blogsphere currently as it stands because everyone I've seen thus far is caught up in the "ooo shiny" syndrome that happens when all new codexes come out. I feel that there are quite a few and in the next few weeks I will be discussing how I feel space wolf and blood angel players should be attempting to adapt to the new necrons in their take all comers lists. I do very much feel that the necrons will warp the metagame. Maybe not as much as some think but enough that they should be factored into your list when preparing for tournament play. I also will be discussing units that have been overlooked and I feel will be very powerful once people realize it.

1 comment:

  1. Necrons undeniably have the ability (more so than any other army) to dictate the way the battle is going to be played. They literally can control the lighting and terrain and can even do neat little tricks like dissapear or even lower the enemy's armor.

    I agree that the "new shiny" syndrom is in full effect and for the most part have to say that much of the "old Crons" still work pretty well (scarabs, warriors, immortals, lords) especially with the removal of limitations on WBB (protocols now) and the ability to make any squad do whatever role it needs to be used for with the addition of crypteks and lords.

    One of the shiny new units that actually shines to me is the Annihilation Barge - though the AP may be -, the vehicle essentially has AV13 (countering 5/6 of the missile spam out there) and the protection of night fight (in most lists right now) and has the badassery of tesla backing its impressive amount of shots. I think you could make some pretty nice armies from the old battleforce box (or two), a few extra immortals and the barges, but that's just me.

    Hopefully, we will start to see good crons at our local level as I think the codex is Ward's masterpeice so far.

    ReplyDelete